Friday, May 28, 2010

BELLY BUTTON ON ITS WAY OUT

For the record, my belly button is already on its way out. At 15 weeks. Poor little guy never stood a chance.

So incredible, so amazing, but also so strange to think I'm growing babies inside me. Not that I'm really doing much of anything, but they're growing with or without me! What a miracle that we can do this!!!

Never in my life did I consider having twins. It wasn't even in the realm of what I thought was possible. After initially being told there was only one, the doctor proceeded to find another heartbeat. We thought she was kidding and until she was able to get both babies on the monitor at the same time, I genuinely thought she was just showing us the same baby from different angles, and she had mistakenly thought this was a different baby. But those 2 little heartbeats didn't lie and Brian and I just stared at each other in disbelief. Every emotion running through us. Shock, excitement, overwhelmed, blessed. My mind started racing with thoughts of 2 crying babies, 2 feedings every 2-3 hours, piles and piles of dirty diapers. Brian's mind went straight to the cash register... 2 kids turning 16 and wanting cars at the same time, 2 kids going to college at the same time...

Our nurse took us aside and told us that she thinks the Lord selects special couples to raise twins and how it's a blessing the Lord has given us. I know she's right about the blessing part and even though I'm pretty sure she was just trying to calm the fear in our eyes, bless her heart because that's exactly what we needed to hear in that moment.

We are BEYOND excited and can't wait for these little guys to get here!

7 comments:

Whitney said...

Hi sweet Ali! Congrats to you and Brian - I am so excited for you! Especially since it is two boys! Boys are so great, I absolutely adore mine and love all the fun and interesting "boy" moments along the way. Truman and Luke are best buds and they are a year and half apart! You will have a few testing and growing experiences, which in turn will only make the joy that comes into your life that much sweeter! You two are going to be perfect parents for two twin boys! Yahoo! I am just so happy for you! Love you and we hope it works out to see you the weekend of the fourth of July! We would love to see you! Congrats again!

Lindsey Sharp said...

Morgan was the same way when we found out, triplets meant we needed a new car and our 3 bedroom townhome we would soon grow out of. My biggest fear was how I was going to get them here healthy and safe. Morgan and my dad gave me a blessing, it was so special to me and something I will remember and cherish for the rest of my life, I would be happy to share it with you when we talk on the phone! It really is such a miracle and a blessing from Heavenly Father, and although you feel inadequate at times HE never leaves you to do it alone! Congrats again!

Katy said...

So excited for you! I had to laugh at the belly button thing....mine always went totally flat, but never quite popped out. I guess twins will do that to you in a hurry especially when one is as tiny as you! :)
And I think all my friends who have had twins all thought it was a joke or mistake at first!
Congrats again!!

C said...

I can't imagine how shocking that was! How much fun though--twins just SOUND like so much fun! And just think of it this way... now you'll each have a baby to hold, snuggle, and kiss all the time! AND... when they start to get older, they won't be bored to tears because they need a friend to play with! BONUS! Built-in-playmate. I would totally take one of those about now... :) Good luck!

laura said...

congratulations!! we are so excited for you. I always thought twins would be so amazing. You and Brian will be the best parents. We will have to get our little boys together to play :) love and miss you guys...xoxo

Jeninator said...

I agree with your nurse. I do think it takes a special couple to raise twins. :) You and Brian will be amazing parents. Can't wait to see you soon. :) xoxoxo!

Susan said...

Happy anniversary, my pets!